The Art Of Transformation | Special Effects Makeup
An SFX Story
If you don’t know by now, I’ll tell ya… I’m a makeup instructor. One of my favorite things to teach is Special Effects Makeup. The reason I love teaching this subject is because to me it is what I think makeup is, which to me is; the magic of transformation! Transformation can be seen in simple day to day makeup, but when you use Special FX you can completely change a person into someone else like magic.. And I love that!
This week I’ve been teaching SFX Makeup, and I wanted to share some of the fun products
I work with:
- We use the very exotic tissue paper..what?!?! Yes we use this with latex and create creepy skin.
- Sponges (non latex) these sponges are essential to use with liquid latex because the liquid latex won’t eat them.
- Stipple sponge.. we use these to create scrapes and other cool effects.
- Q tips, from cleaning edges to adding color, these bad boys are useful.
- Liquid latex will be your best friend (if you aren’t allergic) you can build and rip and with this product to create realistic skin.
- Liquid blood is the best finishing touch to make a wound, burn, cut and flesh eating zombie look realistic.
- Black creme color. I use this to give depth.
- My favorite product to use is 3rd degree. This is a silicone 2 part product. When combined you have ten minutes to mold and shape into what you want it to be and it harden that way.
- Another favorite not shown here, is thick blood. It’s a gel like blood with many uses.
I have some videos in my YouTube channel on how to use some of these, Actually I have an entire play list on these:
Here are some Special Effects Makeup looks I’ve created:
Psychopaths and real life BFFS
Clown and Burn
Wound and Bruises
Ok Beauty Addicts! I’m glad I got to share this side of the beauty world that I love, If you have any questions feel free to comment below!
Are you a beauty lover or a sfx lover?